BANGALORE, INDIA: In an interaction with Abhigna NG from CIOL, Gautam Rege, founder, director, Josh Software, shared top tips and tricks for Ruby developers.
Tips for budding Ruby developers includes:
1. Rails evolves very fast. Hence, to keep up with the change, continuous learning and knowledge upgradation is important.
2. Ruby on Rails is a dynamic framework therefore using latest versions of Ruby libraries and Rails framework is always a good idea as they will have new fixes and enhancements introduced in them.
3. Participate in online discussion forums on Ruby on Rails, share knowledge and ask questions.
4. Bring precision and creativity in work; approach towards the work in Ruby should be meticulous.
5. Knowledge of both Rails framework and Ruby language is equally important, keep know how of both language and framework.
6. Be an efficient coder not just a good coder; always think of making the code better and better by testing it and by keep on changing it.
7. Rails code smell is important. It’s surprising but sometimes code can stink. When a code contains complexities and a large number of indents and loops that code raises a stink. Code climate is a tool that helps in quantifying the code smell; it helps us simplify and make the code better. It’s not only about getting things done faster it’s about getting things done faster and better.
8. Ruby lets a programmer concentrate on the logic that he wants to do in that code rather than concentrating on the language internals; it helps in concentrating on the core and important aspects.
9. Above all, be passionate about coding. You have to love it to be the great!