• News

Samsung Galaxy S4 has no FM radio: Will it be a drawback for Indians?

Samsung Galaxy S4 makes its way to Flipkart, other e-commerce sites

Samsung Galaxy S4 makes its way to Flipkart, other e-commerce sites

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini to cost Rs. 20,000 in India?

Samsung Galaxy S4 mini to cost Rs. 20,000 in India?

Samsung Galaxy Grand gets Galaxy S4's Group Play feature

Samsung Galaxy Grand gets Galaxy S4's Group Play feature

Samsung Galaxy S4 to be  launched in India this week?

Samsung Galaxy S4 to be launched in India this week?

galaxys4

The Samsung Galaxy S4 has several new features, but is the absence of FM radio in the smartphone a put-off?

NEW DELHI, INDIA: The Samsung Galaxy S4 has been in the news ever since it was launched last month for the innovative new features it has. The smartphone has got rave reviews and its new functionalities like Group Play, Eye scroll, and Air Gesture have been appreciated by both consumers and critics.

However, the smartphone lacks a basic feature, which is widely used by consumers in India. The Samsung Galaxy S4 has no FM Radio. According to a report on NDTV, Samsung's Facebook page in Russia has made the following announcement on the subject, which was picked up by GSM Arena via Hi-Tech.Mail.Ru.

''Our studies show a trend shift of interest to digital broadcasting, specifically - focus on listening to music content in social networks or on the channel YouTube. The flagship model of our products are focused on customers who use digital content, which use modern formats and channels of information consumption. (translated from Russian)''

The Galaxy S4 has impressive features like inch screen with Super AMOLED display (441ppi), 1.9GHz quad-core processor/1.6GHz octa-core processor, 2GB RAM, 13MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and 2,600mAh battery.

Some of the features that are unique to Samsung Galaxy S4 are Air View (allows users to preview videos by hovering their finger over the screen), eye-scroll (by observing the movement of the users eyes, the Galaxy S4 automatically pauses and plays videos), WatchON, Optical Reader, Dual Shot (both cameras are functional at the same time), and Group Play.

However, what do you have to say? Could the lack of an FM radio in the smartphone be a drawback for Indian consumers? Or, do you agree with Samsung's statement above? Do let us know.

Edemilson Lima Wed May 15 at 04:10 AM

Sony MW600 stereo bluetooth earphone with FM radio is the right companion for a Galaxy S4. :)

Edemilson Lima Wed May 15 at 04:10 AM

Dan Sat May 11 at 03:29 AM

I listen to radio when I walk with my dog on my s2 all the time. No radio is a show sopper forme

Ravi Fri May 10 at 12:11 PM

Yes I believe , inspite of all amazing features the phone should have FM radio. I will buy it if it has FM included in it. Please include FM , I really wanna buy it.

Raja Sun May 5 at 05:43 PM

The FM radio is the majority of what I use my phone for during the day. Mobile data in india is really expensive, so streaming isn't an attractive option. The whole reason I picked my s2 over the iphone is the FM radio. I'm thinking HTC One is the best option now... give it a couple of years and HTC will be beating Samsung.

James Fri Apr 26 at 11:11 AM

Radio is not for music, it's for instant news and updates on what's going on around the world and you get it for free..this is a huge drawback for samsung galaxy s4..

robin ahluwalia Fri Apr 19 at 03:46 PM

it will be a drawback as radio keep us update about our city also a good thing for passing time.

diana Thu Apr 18 at 11:12 PM

millions listen radio,in the road,beach,metro,runners,bikers and people who dont like web radio for many reasons(money,battery life,sar...)

Chandler Bing Thu Apr 18 at 12:34 PM

How many actually listen to radio on mobile? actually how many people listen to radio at all these days. there are walkmans and ipods for this purpose. its sad to target a phone because it has no fm radio. there are many other features that we have not heard of before

Arz Thu Apr 18 at 12:10 PM

Well I dont think thats gonna make any difference. Everybody has his/her own taste of music....and for that everybody has a particular playlist in their phone...and moreover, youtube is always there for the new songs/albums released....

Anirudh Thu Apr 18 at 11:47 AM

I never listen to FM on my galaxy ace, but I'd like to have the option. Discarding the FM radio completely is certainly a disadvantage

Apple is reported to be planning to introduce the tougher synthetic sapphire screen for its new iPhone.How much would you be willing to pay for it?