MSME Foundation, India assists institutions to undertake effective and inclusive cluster based local economic development in developing and transition economies. The Foundation for MSME Clusters was conceptualized to contribute towards this process of cluster based development of MSMEs and thus enhance their competitiveness, generate sustainable employment and alleviate poverty.
Clusters of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) are found in abundance across the globe. Since the early nineties, cluster based development of MSMEs has been adopted in more than fifty countries.
Also read : Investors to benefit from MSME sourcing
At the suggestion of the Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India, the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) conceptualized and initiated the process of creating the Foundation for MSME Clusters. Subsequently, the Foundation was legally constituted as a non-government, non-profit registered trust under the auspices of the Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDI), Ahmedabad, in the year 2005.
- The Foundation for MSME Clusters seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- Cluster initiatives become inclusive.
- Cutting edge methodologies, tools, information and resources with respect to a cluster development program are accessible.
- Effective linkages emerge between clusters and important thematic institutions in the area of finance, infrastructure, environment, investment, RD, social responsibility and local governance.
- Trained and competent professionals and institutions are available to facilitate cluster-based development.
- Models of strong community based civil society organisations emerge to take up cluster based sustainable development initiatives.
Source : MSME Foundation, India